- bp->b_cpumask must be cleared in vfs_vmio_release().
- Generally speaking, it is generally desireable for the kernel to set B_KVABIO when flushing or disposing of a buffer, as long as b_cpumask is also correct. This avoids unnecessary synchronization when underlying device drivers support KVABIO, even if the filesystem does not.
- In findblk() we cannot just gratuitously clear B_KVABIO. We must issue a bkvasync_all() to clear the flag in order to ensure proper synchronization with the caller's desired B_KVABIO state.
- It was intended that bkvasync_all() clear the B_KVABIO flag. Make sure it does.
- In contrast, B_KVABIO can always be set at any time, so long as the cpumask is cleared whenever the mappings are changed, and also as long as the caller's B_KVABIO state is respected if the buffer is later returned to the caller in a locked state. If the buffer will simply be disposed of by the kernel instead, the flag can be set. The wrapper (typically a vn_strategy() or dev_dstrategy() call) will clear the flag via bkvasync_all() if the target does not support KVABIO.
- Kernel support code outside of filesystem and device drivers is expected to support KVABIO.
- nvtruncbuf() and nvextendbuf() now use bread_kvabio() (i.e. they now properly support KVABIO).
- The buf_countdeps(), buf_checkread(), and buf_checkwrite() callbacks call bkvasync_all() in situations where the vnode does not support KVABIO. This is because the kernel might have set the flag for other incidental operations even if the filesystem did not.
- As per above, devfs_spec_strategy() now sets B_KVABIO and properly calls bkvasync() when it needs to operate directly on buf->b_data.
- Fix bug in tmpfs(). tmpfs() was using bread_kvabio() as intended, but failed to call bkvasync() prior to operating directly on buf->b_data (prior to calling uiomovebp()).
- Any VFS function that calls BUF_LOCK*() itself may also have to call bkvasync_all() if it wishes to operate directly on buf->b_data, even if the VFS is not KVABIO aware. This is because the VFS bypassed the normal buffer cache APIs to obtain a locked buffer.
b3f55d8 kernel - KVABIO stabilization
sys/kern/vfs_bio.c | 13 +++++++++----
sys/kern/vfs_vm.c | 6 ++++--
sys/sys/buf2.h | 20 +++++++++++++++-----
sys/vfs/devfs/devfs_vnops.c | 12 ++++++++----
sys/vfs/tmpfs/tmpfs_vnops.c | 2 ++
sys/vfs/ufs/ffs_softdep.c | 5 +++++
6 files changed, 43 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)