The mainline Linux kernel.
- mm: don't put pinned pages into the swap cache
Linus Torvalds: So technically there is nothing wrong with adding a pinned page to the swap cache, but the pinning obviously means that the page can't actually be free'd right now anyway, so it's a bit pointless.
However, the real problem is not with it being a bit pointless: the real issue is that after we've added it to the swap cache, we'll try to unmap the page.
- local64.h: make mandatory
Randy Dunlap: Make <asm-generic/local64.h> mandatory in include/asm-generic/Kbuild and remove all arch/*/include/asm/local64.h arch-specific files since they only #include <asm-generic/local64.h>.
This fixes build errors on arch/c6x/ and arch/nios2/ for block/blk-iocost.c.
Build-tested on 21 of 25 arch-es.
- mm: generalise COW SMC TLB flushing race comment
Nicholas Piggin: I'm not sure if I'm completely missing something here, but AFAIKS the reference to the mysterious "COW SMC race" confuses the issue.
- mm: memmap defer init doesn't work as expected
Baoquan He: VMware observed a performance regression during memmap init on their platform, and bisected to commit 73a6e474cb376 ("mm: memmap_init: iterate over memblock regions rather that check each PFN") causing it.
Before the commit:
[0.033176] Normal zone: 1445888 pages used for memmap [0.033176] Normal zone: 89391104 pages, LIFO batch:63 [0.035851] ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x448
[0.026874] Normal zone: 1445888 pages used for memmap [0.026875] Normal zone: 89391104 pages, LIFO batch:63 [2.028450] ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x448
The root cause is the current memmap defer init doesn't work as expected.
Before, memmap_init_zone() was used to do memmap init of one whole zone, to initialize all low zones of one numa node, but defer memmap init of the last zone in that numa node.
- proc mountinfo: make splice available again
Linus Torvalds: Since commit 36e2c7421f02 ("fs: don't allow splice read/write without explicit ops") we've required that file operation structures explicitly enable splice support, rather than falling back to the default handlers.
- Merge tag 'arm-soc-dt-5.11' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/soc/soc
- arm64: make _TIF_WORK_MASK bits contiguous
Mark Rutland: We need the bits of _TIF_WORK_MASK to be contiguous in order to to use this as an immediate argument to an AND instruction in entry.S.
- Merge tag 'char-misc-5.10-rc7' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/char-misc
- hugetlb_cgroup: fix offline of hugetlb cgroup with reservations
Mike Kravetz: Adrian Moreno was ruuning a kubernetes 1.19 + containerd/docker workload using hugetlbfs.
- mailmap: add two more addresses of Uwe Kleine-König
Uwe Kleine-König: This fixes attribution for the commits (among others)